LISA SAKEVICIUS

having first been duly sworn to speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then testified as follows:

DIRECT EXAMINATION

BY MR. FORD:

Q: Will you please state your name?

A: Lisa Sakevicius.

Q: How are you employed?

A: At the Arkansas State Crime Lab.

Q: How long have you been employed there?

A: Five years.

Q: You work in the Trace Evidence Section?

A: That's correct.

Q: You make comparisons for fibers and hair samples that could be used to assist in the investigation of crimes?

Q: In you employment at the Arkansas State Crime Lab have you had the opportunity and occasion to be involved in this particular homicide case. Is that correct?

Q: You have been assisting the prosecution in obtaining evidence regarding hair samples and fiber samples?

[000978]

Q: Describe to the Court what you did in order to obtain fibers in this case that you thought might have evidentiary value at some time in the future.

A: The items that were collected at the scene were submitted to the lab. I took tape lifts from these and viewed these under the stereoscope.

Q: The clothing of the boys, the victims, you took that and you dried it out?

A: Yes.

Q: Take masking tape or some other sort of tape and pull fibers off of it?

A: Correct.

Q: You lift that fiber off the tape?

A: I left them on the tape and viewed them through the stereoscope.

Q: You leave them on the tape and look at them under the microscope?

Q: You do the same -- you did that for any item of evidence they submitted. You looked for some sort of fiber. Is that correct?

Q: You did the same thing with a knife and leather scabbard that was submitted to you?

[000979]

A: There were several knives that I did that to.

Q: In one particular case you found a fiber in a leather scabbard -- you would actually take it apart?

A: I did do that.

Q: You found a fiber. Is that correct?

A: Yes. There were several fibers there.

Q: Did you receive a call on the day of June third, 1993, from someone affiliated with the West Memphis Police Department?

A: Yes, sir, I did.

Q: What time did you receive the phone call?

A: It was about ten to four.

Q: Is it safe for me to say that they wanted you to come and assist them in a search?

Q: To go to the residence of potential defendants to look for fibers?

Q: Fibers that might match these fibers you have obtained?

Q: You recall visiting with me last week at your facility in Little Rock?

Q: You remember me asking about going to the residence of Mr. Baldwin looking for fibers?

[000980]

Q: Did you think you would find anything to match?

A: I didn't know.

Q: Didn't you tell me that you would have been surprised to have found something in that residence that would match some of the fibers?

A: Since the clothing was recovered from the water, that is correct.

Q: You told me you would be surprised to find anything that matched.

Q: Based on your knowledge and training and experience as a criminologist in doing trace evidence, you had no reason to believe that you would find anything in the residence of Jason Baldwin that would serve as evidentiary value in comparison with those fibers you had already obtained.

A: I said I would be surprised but I would not totally exclude the possibility.

Q: When -- did you relate to the prosecution or police that it would be important to look for red, blue, purple fibers?

A: I indicated colors that they should look for.

Q: Did you also indicate that they might look for waxing or candle or some type of wax material and the color of that also?

Q: When you arrived at the residence of Mr. Baldwin, basically what you were doing was going from one room to the other, one

[000981]

drawer to the next, one closet to the next looking for something in that color range or fiber type of the right type of material, the right color of material, that might match what you had obtained in your lab at Little Rock. Is that correct?

Q: Basically a fishing trip, a scavenger hunt. Is that correct?

A: I would not call it a fishing trip.

Q: You didn't know what you were looking for. It was just, "I know it when I see it"?

A: I knew what I was looking for. I knew what color fibers I was looking for.

Q: You did not know where it was?

A: I didn't know where they would be.

Q: And you didn't know whether they would be in there.

A: I didn't know.

Q: So you had to just look from one room to the next, one drawer to the next, one closet to the next until maybe you find something. Is that correct?

Q: Was there any scientific reason that this search needed to be conducted at night?

A: Not to my knowledge.

Q: Did you have any reason to know or believe that these fibers were subject to imminent removal?

[000982]

A: Which fibers? What do you mean?

Q: Any fibers that you would be looking for.

A: That they would be taken in the search?

Q: No. Did you have any reason to believe they might disappear on you?

A: Oh. I don't know.

Q: One of the fibers that you found was from a toilet seat cover?

A: Yes, sir.

Q: The other one was from a red robe?

A: Yes, that's correct.

Q: Was that a man's robe or woman's robe?

A: I believe it was a woman's.

CROSS EXAMINATION

BY MR. PRICE:

Q: A few minutes ago Mr. Ford was asking you some questions about the process you did when you went to Mr. Baldwin's house looking for certain fibers and certain clothing?

A: Yes.

Q: Did you do the same procedure at Mr. Echols' house?

A: Yes, I did this at all the residences.

CROSS EXAMINATION

BY MR. DAVIS:

Q: You had told the West Memphis Police Department the specific colors and types of fibers that you had found on the

[000983]

items submitted to you previously?

Q: So when you went with the officers in executing the Search Warrant, you were looking for at that time particular colored fibers that might match or be similar to those you previously found. Is that right?

Q: As far as what you were able to locate that evening when you accompanied the officers, you were going primarily on the color of the fiber. Is that true?

A: That's true.

Q: Then when you get back to the Crime Lab, you were able to further compare and determine if the fiber you located compared in other fashion other than just color?

Q: You had provided that information to the police department prior to your coming here to assist them in the search as far as what fibers you had already located and what colors they were?

(WITNESS EXCUSED)

THE COURT: Call your next witness.

MR. FORD: Mr. Baldwin has no further witnesses to call at this time.